Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Red Pom Poms and Toby Keith

Today I attended the John McCain rally with Kiah, and Katie Lewis. We arrived at the rally at seven o'clock and were only about the thirtieth or fortieth people in line so we knew we would be guaranteed good seats. I really wanted to go so that no matter what I could say that I had seen the next president of the United States. I had three Obama buttons in my sweatshirt that I had planned on wearing but not wanting to have any confrontation that is where they stayed. They let us in at 8:30 out of the drizzling rain and we found our spots at the front by the stage! Right next to it! I thought we had been close at the Obama rally when we were twenty feet away but it was nothing in comparison to the five feet we were from the stage today! So after five hours of waiting and being handed red pom poms, listening to way too much country music and seeing my fair share of NObama shirts it was almost time for him to arrive. A man that was volunteering came over to us and asked if we were high school students and we replied that we were, he asked if there was a large Obama following at our high school and we said yes at told him that we were Obama supporters, then he asked if we could vote and we said no and he said good. It was really funny and I could definitely sense the uncertainty of McCain becoming president. When McCain's plane pulled up and him, Cindy, his mother, and Libermann stepped out there was pandemonium.I can honestly say that the rally for McCain was much more enthusiastic and crazy than the Obama rally. I was actually very pleased to see that in his speech John McCain did not speak negatively of Obama but rather focused on himself and how much he needed everyone to vote today and the fight he would put up for America. He only spoke for about ten minutes which was really disappointing after waiting five hours but I'm glad we went. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me to be in the presence of two presidential candidates and who knows when the next time a presidential candidate should come to Grand Junction. Unfortunately, we walked away right before he came to shake our hands, to try and beat traffic. Now im going to sit back and watch the election results come in on this historic day!

No comments: